Saturday, February 27, 2021

68 Indian Bistro

Located at 3928 Sedgebrook Street off of 68 North in High Point, 68 Indian Bistro offers Indian and Indo-Chinese cuisine for lunch and dinner seven days per week. Delivery is available through Grubhub.

 

Taking over the former BBQ Nation spot, 68 Indian Bistro dispenses with some of that establishment’s novelty (alas, no watermelon skewers grilled tableside), but, by virtue of halal and Indo-Chinese dishes (think hakka noodles), still fills a distinct niche. Should you go the more traditionally Indian route, however, you’ll find food that satisfies far more than it disappoints.

 

I arrived on a Thursday evening to place a takeout order and found the restaurant nearly empty, not a good omen. That said, it’s a clean (if plain) space, and the sole front-of-house employee was very helpful. She answered the few questions I threw her way and brought my order curbside with less wait time than anticipated.

 

Seeking to get several meals out of this order, I picked up a vegetarian thali, a nonvegetarian thali, samosas, and keer. At under $50, this proved to be a good value though if you opt for a few different entrees (mid-teens each) rather than the thali samplers, 68 Indian could get pricey.

 




Not only was the food tasty, but it avoided a few pitfalls I’ve encountered elsewhere. First, everything was at the desired level of spiciness (2 on a 1-4 scale, in this case). Next, the consistency of the palak paneer was spot-on. Rubbery cheese has ruined some renditions of this dish, but 68 Indian got it right. The samosas were also considerably larger than I’ve had elsewhere, and they paired very well with the accompanying tamarind sauce. Strangely, the only thing that wasn’t up to par – or better – was the naan, which was thinner and chewier than expected.

 

I’d still give Taaza Bistro the nod as the best Indian eatery in the area, but for High Point folks who don’t want to make a trip down Wendover, 68 Indian merits investigation. 


2 comments:

  1. Good question. I haven't been to Agni in years, and I don't know how much they've changed since 2017 or so (nor do I know if 68's food quality is consistent from visit to visit). What I had at 68 is better than what I remember having at Agni, but please take that with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete