Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Timmy's Hot Chicken

 


Located at 237 West 5th Street in Winston-Salem’s Downtown Arts District, Timmy’s Hot Chicken serves Nashville hot chicken from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday. A second location is planned for Greensboro.

 

As a fan of Nashville hot chicken, I’ve had versions that have ranged from fairly faithful to loosely adapted and done right to butchered beyond all recognition. This made me curious about Timmy’s, and I’m pleased to report that it falls in the former categories rather than the latter.

 

A long, narrow, dimly lit space next door to Small Batch, Timmy’s boasts a wall of plates to commemorate the winners of its Hellfire wings challenge (one order eaten in ten minutes or less without drinks). I opted for takeout during my first visit, but it seems like a casual, relaxed spot for dine-in.

 

Timmy’s menu suits its concept well and offers a fair bit of flexibility. You can get wings, tenders, boneless thighs, or fish. All are available with bread on the side and pickles, or you can opt for sandwiches that are varying degrees of loaded (Beyond Meat is also an option here) or even chicken and waffles. Sauce heat levels range from medium to the aforementioned hellfire.

 


I decided to play it safe with a medium Timothy: tenders, pickle, American cheese, slaw, bacon, and comeback sauce. At $12 for the sandwich only (sides are another $4 to $5), it wasn’t cheap, but it was well worth it. The sandwich delivered the sweet-and-heat combination I was looking for while the slaw and bacon added a welcome crunch. Surprisingly for a sandwich as loaded as this one, it didn’t completely fall apart while I tried to eat it.

While I can’t attest to Timmy’s sides or the dine-in experience, the sandwich was enough to tell me where to go the next time a Nashville hot chicken craving hits. Here’s hoping the Greensboro location opens soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment